The Mormon Channel

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Service and Joy

Jesus Christ has been the means by which I have been able to find joy.  I love Him so much, and because He is the life, He is the means by which we can enjoy life.

What is it we can do in this life to receive a fullness of joy?  How can we feel as though we have a sense of purpose?  Ponder these questions as you watch this video about how Lisa is able to keep a smile on her face.



We can choose to be happy, or we can choose to be miserable.  Service is a tremendous way to experience joy, for that is the life that Christ led.  In fact, the prophet Mormon in the Book of Mormon teaches us that "charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever;"  Just as Lisa said, "Service is not just a series of acts, but a lifestyle."  When we focus on others and what they need, we forget ourselves in the Lord's work.  When we do so, the Lord's promise becomes a reality:

"But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first. (Matthew 19:30)"

When we place ourselves last, the Lord places us first.  As I've been able to render service as a missionary, my joy has been unmeasurable.  Even for those moments before I decided to serve a mission, I'm grateful for those numerous opportunities I've been given to exert my love of Christ in the form of action.




 
Gordon B. Hinckley"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." 
 ~Gordon B. Hinckley

No comments:

Post a Comment