The Mormon Channel

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Reaching the Prize

Elder Duke and I have started running every morning.  I'm not big into running or anything, but I am big into eating, which means that I am big.


Even though we're running on a daily basis, it's difficult for me.  We run to the town square and back; about a mile and a half journey.  What becomes a seemingly hard journey becomes so much easier when I see...


... the town square itself!  My journey all of the sudden becomes doable when I can see the objective I am working towards.  I've started a tradition where I actually touch the bell tower when I make it to the half-way point.


GOAL ACCOMPLISHED (well, half-way at least)!!!  When I am able to see the goal that I'm striving to achieve, it suddenly becomes possible; it becomes a reality waiting to happen, we can reach the prize.

In our Earthly adventures, what prize are we working towards?  In Phillipians 3:14, the Apostle Paul states:

"I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

The Lord teaches us in modern revelation that "there is no gift greater than the gift of salvation (D&C 6:13)."  As we set our sights on our eternal goal of eternal life to become "heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ (Romans 8:17)", we receive strength and confidence that we truly can do "all things through Christ [who] strengtheneth [us] (Phillippians 4:13)."  In fact, ponder the promised blessings we receive as we keep our eyes single to the Glory of God:

"And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things.  Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him... (D&C 88:67-68)"


I await that day when I shall see my Savior.  I love Him, and I know that nothing is impossible with His support.

No comments:

Post a Comment