The Mormon Channel

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Heroes

Growing up as a young boy, I loved being able to hear and read the stories of legends with great powers and capabilities.  I loved engulfing myself in the constant conflicts between good and evil and the triumph of the righteous.  I loved.... superheroes!


Some of my favorites were the X-Men,
Spiderman,
Batman,

and of course.... the Power Ranges!

(Actually, my brothers and I still love the Power Rangers!)
As I've grown older, though I still love and admire these fictional characters who always beat the bad guys, my idea of what a hero is has changed.  One of my heroes that I've grown to love and admire is Captain Moroni.


What is it about this Book of Mormon commander that is so heroic? 

Besides the obvious worldly acclamations he received as a phenomenal war strategist and courageous leader; he was a man of dignity, a man of honor.  The scriptures describe him as a "strong and mighty man... a man of perfect understanding... a man who did not delight in bloodshed; a man whose soul did joy in the liberty and freedom of his country, and his brethren... Yea, and he was a man who was firm in the faith in Christ..." (Alma 48:11,13).  So strong was his faith in Christ that it was further testified that "if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men" (Alma 48:17).

While watching this next video, pay attention to the true characteristics of a hero, whether it is that of worldly acclaim or more.


A hero is someone that does right, no matter what.  Even when doing right may seem dangerous, hard, or burdensome, a hero steps up and acts.  Let us be our own heroes to our families, friends, and peers and do what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment