The Mormon Channel

Friday, May 13, 2011

Poinson Ivy

A couple of days ago I was out doing service.  A lady in the community needed some help with her backyard, and I was put under the assignment of cutting down all the honeysuckle and vines that were infesting the yard.

Just so y'all know, I'm a city-slicker.  I do not have a green thumb.  I was kinda confused with what was what when cutting stuff down.  Apparently I can't tell the difference between honeysuckle, vines, and.......

POISON IVY!!!!!!

I'll tell you one thing, poison ivy isn't fun.  Since poinson ivy has been on my mind lately (like, every single second!!!), I thought a little bit about the process of how I'd received it.  I had heard that there might be poison ivy in this yard, but I hadn't paid attention to any of the warnings and acted as though there was nothing to worry about.  I don't know where it was that I came in contact with it, but had I not been careless in my workings, it could have been prevented.

Because the oil in the poison ivy severly irritates your skin, there is a tremendous itch that doesn't seem to go away.  Because of my desire to satisfy the itch, I scratch it.  All this does is spread the oil and cause more of your skin to become subject to its wrath, but for that brief moment in time the craving was met and I was content with it.

I love to take nice hot showers, but this is very dangerous when you have poison ivy.  When the hot water hits your skin, it opens up the pores in your skin, which allows the oil from the poison ivy to rapidly spread throughout your skin.  Though I knew I should take cold showers instead, I refused to give up my conveniences and the lifestyle I am used to living.

Once you see the signs of poison ivy, you should start to take care of it by putting special lotion on it, or something to ease the pain.  I procrastinated by barely putting stuff on it a couple of days ago, several days after I knew there was a problem.

All in all, it's not like I wanted poison ivy to get all over my skin and live in constant misery, but I'm not doing my part to get rid of the pain.

Think of my unfortunate encounter with poison ivy and compare it to the snares of addiction.
 
 
 
There is hope because of Christ's Atonement.  We have to power to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment