The Mormon Channel

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Chocolate Cake (and Strawberry Shortcake).... :)

So, last night the church was hosting a fund raiser for all the young women to help them get to girls camp this year.  It was GREAT!!!  It was a spaghetti dinner with a dessert auction at the end.  We came in a little late to show how much we cared and supported them, and this is what ended up happening...


.... and a chocolate cake, strawberry shortcake, and several brownies later, we made it out of there alive!!!

Golly, I'm not going to lie; I LOVE chocolate (and strawberries for that matter)!!!  It pretty much is one of the sure signs that there is a heaven, that there IS something INCREDIBLE out there beyond my understanding!!!  It's just so....... YES!!! 

The way that I love and strongly desire chocolate (and strawberries) is very similar to something else that is very special to me.  It's the word of God. 

As the psalmist once wrote:

"How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!"   (Psalms 119:103)

During his vision of the tree of life, the prophet Lehi gave an account of a special kind of fruit.  In his own words, he describes:



"And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen.  And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit. (1 Nephi 8:11-12)"

The fruits that God sends to us truly are more satisfying than anything else the world can offer us.  The prophet Nephi even goes on to say that we need to "...feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell [us] all things what [we] should do (2 Nephi 32:3)."  The 'fruits' which God sends us are not only sweeter than the chocolate cake or the strawberry shortcake we received, but it doesn't end.  As the great hymnalist once penned:

"The works of God continue,
And worlds and lives abound;
Improvement and progression
Have one eternal round."
                                                                         -William W. Phelps

The words which God has given to us last forever.  I'm so grateful for the ways in which He inspires me to find more comfort, to find more joy, to experience so much more peace in this life.  I'm grateful that I'm able to share His message, because it is a message of hope and a message of truth!  The things I share have made an eternal impact on my life, and to allow others to partake of this fruit is more than I could ever ask to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment