The Mormon Channel

Friday, March 11, 2011

Putting your trust in God.

Today I studied on the importance of trusting in God.  Too often I feel myself relying on my own wisdom, my own knowledge, and my own thinking and forget what marvels my Father in Heaven can accomplish if I but trust in Him.  There is a scripture in the book of Mosiah 7:19 in the Book of Mormon that illustrates to me how I need not worry if I put my whole trust in God.

19Therefore, lift up your heads, and rejoice, and put your trust in God, in that God who was the God of Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob; and also, that God who brought the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt, and caused that they should walk through the Red Sea on dry ground, and fed them with manna that they might not perish in the wilderness; and many more things did he do for them.

Look at the miracles God has been able to accomplish!  What can't God do?  Is anything impossible to Him?

Another scripture in the Book of Mormon in Alma 36:3 teaches us that God will support us in our trials if we put our trust in Him.

3And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust‍ in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.

I love the wording Alma uses to point out to his son, Helaman, about the characteristics of God's promises.  As we put our trust in God, we "shall" be supported in our trials, troubles, and afflictions.  These blessings are guaranteed to us as we do our part in obtaining them.

Which leads us to this question: How do we show God that we trust in Him?  This question is answered in Mosiah 7:33.

33But if ye will turn‍ to the Lord with full purpose of heart, and put your trust in him, and serve him with all diligence‍ of mind, if ye do this, he will, according to his own will and pleasure, deliver you out of bondage.

We have to "turn to the Lord", meaning to humble ourselves and acknowledge His divine power, and "serve him with all diligence of mind", meaning to willfully keep His commandments.

I know that as we put our trust in the Lord, and "lean not unto [our] own understanding", that we qualify ourselves for the blessings of Heaven.  I know that God lives, and because I've been able to put my trust in Him and His only begotten Son, He's blessed my life with more joy and abundance than I can begin to describe.

No comments:

Post a Comment