The Mormon Channel

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Food for the soul...... MUSIC!

I LOVE music!  As a little kid I remember my mother asking me if I wanted to join the Ragazzi Boys Choir, and I was just so enthralled by the beauty of their sound that I jumped on board right away.   Something touched me that day when I heard them sing, and that something still touches me to this day whenever I listen to good, wholesome music.

Learning how to sing and eventually teaching myself the basics to piano took a lot of blood,sweat, and tears (literally!), but I've come to a great appreciation for the way it communicates to our souls.  Music is the universal language.  There is something about music that adds an extra dimension to our thoughts, ideas and emotions that our words alone aren't able to carry.  Because of this amazing phenomenom, the Lord has stated in latter-day revelation (D&C 25:12):

12For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.

Good music is prayer to God's ears!  Whenever I sing or play a tune on the piano, I truly am communicating to the Divine!  Some of the greatest sermons ever preached are done through song.  Think of how music has influenced you.  I've come closer to my Savior through music, and because of that I joy in being able to bear my testimony through song. 
Watch this video of one of my favorite musicians, Alex Boye.



I love my Savior and the tools he gives us to draw closer to Him.  Reading the scriptures, feeling the influence of the Holy Ghost, going to church, prayer, wholesome music, all of these are all ways we are able to strengthen our relationship with God and His only begotten Son.  I love them both, and I need them each and everyday of my life, and how grateful I am that they desire me to come nearer to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment